PA-JJD 7: Education Services
Comprehensive, coordinated education services help youth catch up in school and advance to the highest possible level of academic achievement.
NA The agency provides services in the after-school or evening hours, only.
Each youth is:
- provided with an education plan that is integrated with the service plan; and
- enrolled in an appropriate educational program.
Research Note: Research
suggests that many youth involved with the juvenile justice system are in need of special education services and highlights the importance of: (1) identifying when youth are eligible for special education, as referenced in PA-JJD 1.02; (2) developing individualized education programs (IEPs) that meet their needs; and (3) arranging for the delivery of special education services.
The educational program incorporates effective instructional practices
curriculum design, and educational tools for diverse learning needs.
The educational program is approved, certified, accredited, registered, or operated by or in conjunction with the local school district.
The educational program complies with all state and local requirements regarding:
- the number of hours students spend in school per day;
- the qualifications of educational personnel; and
- the ratio of students to educational personnel.
routinely and frequently communicate and collaborate with educational personnel.
The agency provides or arranges, as needed:
- preparation for a high school equivalency diploma; and
- college preparation.