KC 8: Services for Parents
receive services that help them recognize and develop strategies to address the behaviors or conditions resulting in the child’s placement in kinship care, and that facilitate permanency for the child.
NA The organization, by virtue of law or contract
, does not serve parents or only serves children whose parental rights have been terminated.
NA The organization only provides informal kinship care services.
Parents receive information about kinship care services that includes:
- an orientation to the kinship care service and the child's need for a permanent, safe, stable home;
- their rights and responsibilities while the child is in care;
- the importance or parental involvement and contact with the child and the organization according to the service plan;
- expectations and timeliness associated with participation in services; and
- legal implications if reunification efforts are unsuccessful.
Parents receive assistance in using organizational and community
resources to prepare the family for reunification or another permanency option.
Culturally-relevant services are available, directly or by referral, to help parents meet their needs and to help the child return home, including:
- child care;
- homemaker and home health aide services;
- parent education;
- respite care;
- transportation services;
- vocational and educational assistance;
- treatment for medical, mental health, and substance use conditions;
- domestic violence services; and
- housing referral and assistance.
When such services are not readily accessible, the organization advocates for greater availability and works with the family to consider alternatives, which can include informal support services.
Research Note: The literature identifies inadequate access to support services, such as treatment for substance use conditions, as a barrier to achieving permanency for children.
Workers have access to comprehensive, up-to-date information about culturally-relevant community services, and maintain regular contact with collateral providers to share information about service delivery.